See we’re not all about the plumbing tips. Here are some helpful tips to help you make it through the Arctic blast we are now experiencing. As the temperatures dip into the minus zero category with the wind chills, survival can rapidly become a big issue!
Cold Weather Safety Tips
- Keep a blanket in your car in case you become stuck or stranded in the cold. The extra layer of heat retention may make the difference between life and death.
- If your vehicle becomes stranded, stay inside the vehicle until help comes or the weather breaks. It is your best chance of survival, protecting you against the wind and elements.
- Keep your gas tank topped off and at or near its fullest level. If you become stranded having a full tank will buy you time to wait out the storm or until help arrives. Running the vehicle for short amounts of time will generate enough heat to forestall hypothermia and save your life. If the snow is falling heavily, remember to get out of your vehicle and keep the exhaust pipes free of snow that may accumulate between startups. Carbon monoxide is an odorless killer and will enter the vehicle if the exhaust becomes blocked with drifting snow.
- Keep your cell phone charged and have a mobile charger. Above all this can be a lifesaver. Being able to call for help obviously can be the difference between life and death.
- Layer your clothing. Even though you are riding in a heated vehicle you have to be prepared for an emergency. You can always shed layers if it becomes to warm inside the car.
- Store some of these in your glove box. If you don’t have layers of clothes that can be added you will die!
- Keep several items to eat in your car. Place them in a ziplock baggie. Look for foods high in not only protein but also carbohydrates. The carbs will help you generate heat. Think protein bars and granola products. They lend themselves to packing and storing in a small space and can keep you going for hours.
- Gloves, hat, and scarf. Leave a set in the car at all times! How many times in a rush leaving work or home have you run out without them? “It’s just a short trip to the store” can lead to deadly consequences in subzero temperatures.
- Let family or friends know where you are going and when you expect to arrive or return. Having someone expecting your return or a phone call can be a lifesaver. Someone to alert help when you are overdue or missing will start the rescue wheels turning.
- Stay indoors! Don’t go out unless absolutely necessary. Can the trip to the grocer wait a day or so until the cold snap breaks? Look at each venture into the Arctic Blast as though your life is in danger. Weigh the reward against the risk… it may not be worth it!
Expert Plumbing Services You Can Trust This Winter
It's important to be prepared during the winter months. Plan ahead and be safe! But if the cold should strike your house call your New Lenox plumbing contractor, Expert Plumbing Service, Inc. We offer a number of reliable plumbing services to meet your needs.
Trust Expert Plumbing Service, Inc. for quality plumbing repair and maintenance services. We even offer a number of coupons and special offers to our valued customers, including $25 off your next plumbing service. Give us a call today to find out more!